Two world record attempts at Peterborough Travelchoice’s Party in the Park…
The week’s big event is Party in the Park which will celebrate the fitness benefits of biking and the health wonders of walking on Saturday September 14 from 10am to 10pm. It takes place at Coney Meadows, in Peterborough’s Ferry Meadows Country Park.
Party in the Park will host two world record attempts. The first will be to keep a pedal powered sound system playing non-stop music for the full 12 hours. Teams will attempt to keep the tunes going for an hour each with an electric bike up for grabs for the team which creates the most power(1).
The second attempt will be to break the record for the most energy created by pedalling a bike for one minute. Simply turn up and enter on the day. There’s a free bike on offer to the winner.
Other Party in the Park attractions include the chance to have a go on hand cycles and adapted bikes, outdoor spin classes, a hand powered bubble machine, tasty food to buy from the BBQ, and lots more.
Party in the Park is organised by Travelchoice in partnership with Nene Park Trust, Vivacity and the British Heart Foundation.
Jessica Horrocks, Sustainable Travel Officer for Travelchoice, said: “The whole day will have a relaxed atmosphere with members of the public encouraged to bring along blankets for a picnic style event.The best thing is it’s free and open to everyone. We’re really excited about the two world record attempts and would urge teams to get in touch with us to sign up to the pedal powered sound system challenge.
“Travelchoice recognises the importance of sustainable travel for health and wellbeing. It’s not just about getting from one point to another; it is about creating a city environment that can be convenient and enjoyable to live and prosper in.”
Party in the Park is just one of a number of events and activities taking place during Travelchoice Week, September 14 to 22, all celebrating sustainable travel options across Peterborough.
Here’s what else is going on:
• The cycling cinema makes a welcome return after a successful 2012. Watch a film while getting some exercise. This year’s outdoor films are Toy Story 3 at Stanground Recreation Ground on September 19 at 7pm; Brave at Bretton Park, Flaxland, Bretton on September 20 at 7pm and The Life of Pi at Hampton Vale, Horseshoe Way on September 21 at 7pm. All screenings are free and, for added fun, the cinemas are powered by different bikes attached to the screen so you’ll be powering the film for all the viewers!
• A family friendly bike ride from Peakirk to Peterborough city centre takes place on Saturday September 21 from 10am to 12.30pm. Meeting at the Bluebell pub in Glinton the group will take a leisurely ride into the city.
• A similar bike ride from Werrington Sports Centre to John Clare Cottage, in the picturesque village of Helpston, runs on Sunday September 22 from 11am to 2pm.
• The Peterborough Italian Festival, also on September 22, will have a pedal powered smoothie maker in Cathedral Square.
• A whole series of short calorie burning walks take place in Peterborough from September 16 to September 22.
For further information about all these events please visit the website: www.travelchoice.org.uk alternatively call the Travelchoice Team on 01733 747474 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org