Anyone need a laugh?
Yep thought so… ESP has been bringing you as much upbeat and positive news throughout this year as we can, but in Tier 4 times are tough. Not to be beaten we continue to seek out the people and news to make you smile.
So when you need a laugh you need a comedian right? ESP got in touch with Darren Walsh who hails from Peterborough and is well known for his great puns, funny videos and voice overs.
To add to several other accolades, back in 2015 Darren won the top award in Dave’s Top 10 Funniest Jokes from the Fringe Festival at Edinburgh from his show Punderbolt with this little corker: “I just deleted all the German names off my phone. It’s Hans free,” and he hasn’t looked back since.
So ESP caught up with Darren to see what he’s been up to – and of course to get some great Peterborough puns…
ESP: What was the main thing you learned or changed over the last few months?
Darren: “A lot of comedians have been hosting gigs over Zoom. I was sceptical of doing stand-up over Zoom at first, as nothing really is good as a live audience, but I’ve warmed to the idea since I’ve figured out the logistics of it. I think things are shifting in that direction, so I’ve invested in a decent green screen!”
What is your tip for keeping positive through winter?
“I’m the worst person to ask, I spend far too much time on social media really. I think getting a good night’s sleep by going to bed early is key, but I’m not very good at that either.”
What have you found heartwarming?
“Tom Moore was inspiring wasn’t he? I think things like that bring everyone together.”
What do you now value more?
What book /podcast/ TV show /film cheers you up or motivates you?
“I’ve been enjoying the Conan O’Brian podcast, a new science program Cosmos: Possible Worlds and being a Trekkie, I’ve been enjoying all the new series that have come out this year.”
What’s made you laugh recently?
“I farted whilst wearing a dressing gown and my daughter lifted up the back bit and went ‘Daddy poo-poo’. (Sorry for that mental image).”
Anything new coming up next year for fans to look forward to?
“I will be having a new book coming out as a follow-up to Cheep Laughs next year, so keep an eye out for it!”
As Darren is the king of puns and one-liners we asked if he would give us some special ones just for us back in his home town to raise a smile… in Tier 4 we certainly need something to pick us up, and he didn’t disappoint.
Here are some Peterborough puns to Bretton up your day, if you can Oundle them…
- If you want to work at the Key Theatre, you must have a qualification from Yale.
- Can’t remember how to get back home to west Peterborough… I Orton know.
- I told this bloke that there’s a bus that goes north of Peterborough every 60 seconds, and he believed me…. One Bourne every minute.
- I remember one Christmas when the royal family came to use the ice rink in Peterborough’s shopping centre… That’s where I saw the Queen skate.
- What do you call a damaged forest in between Peterborough and Huntingdon? …Sore tree.
- Does anyone know the name of the river that runs through Peterborough? I’m Nene the wiser.
- People wonder why I spend so much time in Peterborough Cathedral, but I’m in it for the long hall.
- Peterborough United don’t play dirty, unless Posh comes to shove.
- Ferry Meadows got its name because it was opened by Bryan Ferry and Shane Meadows.
- I finally got to visit that music venue in Bretton, so I can Cresset off my list.
Follow Darren Walsh for more like this on his social media @DarrenWalshPuns and visit www.darrenwalsh.co.
Lead image: Photo by Steve Ullathorne