This Saturday August 13 we’re going GREEN!
Our city is home to one of the biggest and longest-running environmental events in the UK; the PECT Green Festival. This year the festival is heating up – it’s moved to a new summertime date of Saturday August 13, with fringe events running through to Sunday August 21. Join in this celebration of all things green and have lots of eco fun!
Sometimes when organisations talk about environmental improvements it can be about cutbacks and things you need to give up. Not so for the charity Peterborough Environment City Trust (PECT), which is encouraging the city and its residents to become greener through its annual Green Festival!
“The event brings together a wide range of organisations, attractions and charities for its launch day,” explains organiser Jen Orrell.
“Whether it’s from being inspired by innovative artworks, taking part in a cycle sprint, or trying some locally-produced food – the Festival will encourage you to see sustainability in a whole new light.
“There are plenty of fun activities on offer for the whole family!”
Head to Peterborough’s Cathedral Square from 10am on Saturday August 13 for the free festival, and don’t miss the fringe events running across the city for the following week. Visit www.pect.org.uk/GreenFest or tweet @SustainableCity with #PECTGreenFest.
The Festival at a glance…
- Try some tasty food: Don’t miss the Local and Sustainable Food section on St John’s Square. See cookery demonstrations from local chefs and try some mouth-watering bites!
- Enjoy main stage entertainment: From a gospel choir through to BMX displays and children’s science shows, you will be entertained throughout the whole day!
- Discover how to improve your health and well-being: See demonstrations of different sports activities and find out how you can become more active in the long-term.
- Be amazed by innovative art: Seven artists have been commissioned for this year’s Green Festival. From a three-metre long papier-mâché stag beetle to an origami boat walking trail, the artworks promise to spark debate about sustainable living.
- Take a new approach to your daily commute: Discover the different options available for modern sustainable travel. To include a sustainable travel phone app, electric cars, and a sound-stage powered by cycles!
- Fun for the whole family: From face-painting through to fun, interactive crafts and the children’s playbus!
- Learn more about local wildlife: Visit the Wildlife section of the Festival on Cathedral Square to see how you can help encourage more bees, butterflies and birds in Peterborough.
- Relax: Fed up of rushing around shopping? Chill out at Green Square on Long Causeway with some spoken word and acoustic performances. Or head to the Cathedral grounds to see some of the artworks.
- Make a difference: Want to help out with conservation and eco events in the city? At the Green Festival, sign up to become a volunteer with PECT and meet other like-minded people who want to make Peterborough a greener, cleaner, happier place to live.
- Continue the fun: Attend fringe events that are running throughout the week at different venues across the city. From talks, debates, film screenings and exhibitions – there’s something for everyone!